As an amateur angler, choosing and matching a reel to the best rod may be complicated than rocket science.
And that’s why we compiled this complete guide of the best fishing rod and reel combo for a beginner just for you. Read on! Every combo that we have reviewed is efficient, affordable, and reliable.
Top 5 The Best Fishing Rod and Reel Combo for Beginners
Wild Water Fly Fishing 9 Foot Combo – Best Fly Fishing Combo for Beginners
Fly fishing is exciting. But this sport can be quite challenging, especially if you are starting. Fortunately, Wild Water Store has a product specifically designed with amateur fly anglers at heart.
- 5/6 weight 9-foot fly rod
- Four-piece fly rod
- IM8 graphite rod
- The reel has an adjustable disc drag
- 32-inch rod carry case with straps
- Interchangeable right and left retrieve
The Wild Water Fly Fishing Combo tops our list of the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners for its affordability, reliability, and efficiency. The rod is well-made, and it comes with everything you need to hit the waters right from the store.
The fly rod is made from IM8 graphite, it has a 5/6 weight reel, and is 9 foot long. The length and weight are perfect for a beginner angler. And the rod is easy to use and cast. The handle is also comfy and will not hurt your hands even after prolonged use.
Another great feature of this fly rod is its portability. It is a four-piece rod that is easy to pack away, store, and carry. What’s more, it comes with a durable 31-inch storage case with side storage for the rod’s accessories.
There’s also a waterproof fly box to hold your flies. The rod comes with a total of 18 artificial flies.
- A great starter pole that is easy to cast and comfortable to hold
- Comes with a strong carry case for storing the rod, fly line, and all other accessories
- Smooth drag and is strong enough to fight most types of fish
- Strong and well-made fishing rod combo that will last for years
- The artificial flies could have been of better quality
Piscifun Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo – Most Portable
The Piscifun Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo is among the most travel-friendly fishing rod and reel combos for beginners available today.
It is a black 5/6 weight 9′ long rod that comes with a strong carry case. The case fits everything you need for your first fishing trip.
- Pre-spooled fly line
- Has a top-quality aluminum alloy fly reel
- Includes line clippers
- Comes with three types of artificial flies
- 5/6 weight
- 9-foot rod
The Piscifun combo includes a fly rod, a fly reel pre-spooled with a fly line, a leader, a backing line, one line cutter made of stainless steel, nine artificial flies, and a waterproof fly to carry your flies.
On top of that, you’ll also get a free harden carry case with a zippered side pouch to store and carry everything we’ve mentioned above.
The Rod and Reel
The Piscifun rod is ultra-light and is fitted with a half wells comfortable cork handle that ensures ultimate accuracy and less fatigue after fishing for hours. And since this is a slow action rod, it is ideal for any fly fishing beginner. You can use it to catch small trout and sunfish in small streams.
The reel comes pre-spooled with a line, leader, and backing line and is ready to use right out of the box. It is made of die-cast top-grade aluminum alloy and has a smooth drag for accurate fish tackling.
- Has a smooth drag system for ultimate accuracy
- Half wells cork ensures accurate casting and a comfortable grip
- An ultra-light 9-foot fly rod that is ideal for starter fly anglers
- Fly reel comes pre-spooled with fly line, leader, and backing line to reduce assembly time
- Provided carry case facilitates easy movement and storage
- Casting with larger flies can be a little challenging
Zebco 33 Ladies Spincast Fishing Reel and Rod Combo – Best Beginner Combo for Ladies
If you are searching for a fishing rod made specifically for amateur ladies anglers, the Zebco 33 Ladies Spincast Fishing Reel and Rod Combo could be precisely what you are looking for.
- Super light graphite frame
- Interchangeable left and right-hand retrieve
- Pre-spooled with 100-yards fishing line
- Comfy Full EVA handle
- Beautiful multicolor set
If you are a complete beginner angler, the best type of fishing reel and rod to consider are spin cast rods. These are not only easy to cast but are also super light and most straightforward to learn.
Similarly, the Zebco 33 Ladies combo is easy to use and cast. It is a beautiful multicolor spincast fishing reel and rod combo that is well made and easy to use. The 6-foot rod is made of a graphite frame and a comfortable metal handle. And because of its interchangeable left and right-hand retrieve, this rod is ideal for both left and right-handed users.
- A super light rod that is easy to use
- Comfortable full EVA handles
- Left and right-hand retrieve
- Pre-spooled with 100 yards of fishing line
- The rod is not of the best quality
FISHINGSIR Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo – Best Telescopic Combo
The FISHINGSIR Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo are available in two sizes, a 5/6 9 foot rod and a 3/4 8 foot rod. Here we will focus mainly on the 5/6 9 foot fly rod, which is the most ideal for beginners.
- 5/6 weight reel
- 9-foot long rod
- Stainless steel frame
- Top grade cork grip
- 2 + 1 ball bearing system
From its 9-foot ultralight rod, top of the class cork grip, to its superior drag system, the FISHINGSIR rod and reel combo is made to ensure a flawless experience for the beginner fly angler.
It has a large aluminum reel, 2 + 1 bearing system, and a top-quality drag system that allows smooth and easy engagement. The line is also easy to cast and can be used in both fresh and saltwater.
- Ideal for both saltwater and freshwater use
- Interchangeable right and left-hand use
- Smooth drag for easy operation
- A super light rod that is easy to carry around
- Reels feel a little cheap
Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combos – Best Combo for Freshwater
Now introducing another great and well-made starter pack for amateur anglers. The Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combo is light, easy to carry, and easy to use.
- 9 feet long rod and 5/6 weight reel
- Four-piece rod
- A convenient carrying case
- Made from durable carbon fiber
Nine-foot rods are the most versatile types of rods. They are easier to cast, and you can use it in many types of waters. But what makes the Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combos outshine the other contenders is its portability.
The four-piece fly fishing rod is made from ultra-light carbon fiber and folds down to fit perfectly in the provided carrying case. And that’s not all. With a medium-fast rod action, this rod is more comfortable cast and suitable for anglers who are just starting to learn how to fish.
- Durable and well-made rod
- Comes with a five years’ service warranty
- The handle offers a tight and comfortable grip for ultimate accuracy when casting
- A sturdy and robust carry case
- Smooth reel with an excellent drag
- Line, leader, and flies are of low quality
The Best Fishing Rod and Reel Combo for Beginners – The Ultimate Buyers’ Guide
Most expert anglers prefer to buy each component of their fishing rods separately. That way, they’re sure that they’ll get the best out of every experience. And because they have been doing these for years, they are already aware of what works best for them.
On the flip side, if you are going out for your first fishing trip, there are many new concepts to grasp. That’s why we’ve compiled this buyer’s guide and outlined all you need to know using the simplest terms possible.
In a nutshell, the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners should be:
- Lightweight and easy to cast
- Have a comfortable handle
- Well-made and durable
- Allow right and left-hand side use
- Have a smooth ball bearing
But before we proceed, let’s look at the different types of fishing rod and reel combos.
Types of Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
Fishing combos are classified into various types depending on the type of fishing you intend to do and the location you will be fishing.
For instance, you cannot use a freshwater rod and reel in saltwater. It will rust and will not last. And the best fishing rod for icy water fishing will not be ideal for deep-sea fishing.
Below is a guide on the main types of fishing rods.
Spinning rod and reel combos are famous for their versatility. That’s why combos are the best types of fishing rods for beginners. They are cheaper, easier to use, and allow anglers longer casts. Most spinning cast combos are ideal for both freshwater and saltwater use.
Baitcasters are perfect for anglers looking for an extra challenge in their sport. In baitcasting, the fishers cast the lure using a revolving spool reel. This type is common in surf fishing rod and reel combos.
Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
To most anglers, fly fishing is the most thrilling yet challenging type of fishing. Anglers rely on the fly line’s weight during casting since this type of fishing uses an ultra-light fly. Most of these rods are long and will differ depending on the type of fish you’re targeting.
The most common size is 9′.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Fishing Rod and Reel Combo for Beginners
Here are the key things to look at when choosing the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners.
What Type and Size of Fish are you targeting?
Different rod and reel combos are made for different types and sizes of fish. If you are fishing in both saltwater and freshwater, you’ll need a combo that is strong and corrosion-resistant.
However, if you are only targeting trout and other small fish, a basic freshwater combo will work perfectly fine.
The fishing rod is without one of the essential components of a fishing rod and reel combo. To find the best one for your needs, you’ll need to consider the:
This refers to the speed at which the rod bounces back to normal after each flex. Fast action rods are great for tackling large fish species, while slow action rods are best for small fish.
For beginners, the medium action fishing poles are your best bet. They’ll balance the efficiency of both fast and slow action for easier control.
Length and Width
The ideal length and width of a rod for beginners depend on the size of the fish you’re targeting. If you’re aiming for small fish, a long and thin measuring 7 feet above is ideal. A shorter rod of 5-7 ft. is heavier and stiffer and is perfect for tackling larger species.
Cheap and poorly made rods are fitted with low-quality handles that may cause blisters on your hands. That’s why you need to ensure that your choice of the fishing rod has an ergonomic handle. It should be gentle on your hands and should provide a firm and comfortable grip.
The material used to make your fishing pole will determine how long the rod will last and how well it performs. The most common materials are fiberglass, carbon, and graphite.
While all the above will do what they are meant to do, the beginners’ best choice is a graphite and fiberglass alloy. It is durable, sensitive, and will meet most of your fishing needs.
No. of pieces
Fishing rods come either as one, two, or four pieces. And although all three work well, there are slight differences in each, and the best one will depend on your preferences. A one-piece rod will be easier to cast while a four-piece packs small and is easier to travel with.
The best fishing reel for beginners should be as smooth as possible. As a rule of thumb, go for one with the highest number of bearings it will be smoother.
Reel Weight and Material
Another essential feature you must consider is the weight of your reel. Choose a reel that is light and long-lasting. Most reels for beginners are made of aluminum, graphite, plastic, or an alloy of one or two materials.
While aluminum makes durable corrosion-resistant reels, aluminum reels are less flexible. The most popular material used is graphite. It is durable and ultra-light.
There are two types of drag systems, a front, and rear drag system. The best option should have a smooth drag system for easy engagement.
Ensure that your reel seat matches your reel. It should also be corrosion-proof.
The size of the fishing reel determines the length of the line you use. A big reel diameter means that you’ll require a longer line. Different reel sizes will have varying line capacities. And the line capacity will depend on the type of fish you’re targeting.
If you’re aiming for larger species, choose a thick and heavier line is ideal.
Warranty and Durability
There are so many fishing reel and rod combos out there. And they’ll come in at all sizes, materials, and prices.
Regardless of your choice, ensure that you are getting absolute value for your money. Some great options include a lifetime quality and repair guarantee. Others, on the other hand, are cheaply made and will not last.
Handy Tips When Selecting the Best Beginner Reel and Rod Combo
- Look at your fishing reel and rod combo as a long term investment. And always remember that cheap is often expensive. A cheap rod may cost you much more in the long run in repair costs. Thus, ensure your choice of a combo is made to stand the test of time.
- While still at durability, it’s better to go for products from well-known brands. Although their products may be a little bit costlier, they are often made to last. However, this is not to disqualify upcoming brands. Some newcomers are well made and cheaper. Just make sure you do your homework well.
- Graphite is a durable material and is common in making fishing rods. On the flip side, the rod will be extremely sensitive. Meaning, you may need much more time to get the hang of it. Graphite alloys are therefore preferred.
- Choose spin rods instead of bait casters. They are easier to cast and less challenging for a beginner.
- Although we mentioned that the more the number of bearings, the better the reel, it is also crucial that you check the reels’ quality. Sometimes, four topnotch bearings are better than eight low-quality bearings.
- Do in-depth research by reading an unbiased buyer’s guide (like this one) before you settle on any one fishing combo. Better yet, seek advice from professional anglers who will advise you on the best combo for you.
- And if possible, visit your local retailer to feel how each rod fits and feels in your hands. Always choose comfort and quality.
What is the Best Length for a Fishing Rod for Beginners?
The perfect length for a fishing rod for a beginner angler depends on the type of fishing they’ll perform. Ideally, a rod can measure anywhere from 6 feet to 12 feet.
But the recommended length for a beginner is 7 feet. It is neither too big nor too small – just the perfect length for perfect balance and will offer a smooth casting to learning anglers.
As a beginner angler, you’ll need a rod that is not only easy to cast but one that feels comfortable on the hands.
Our top pick is the Wild Water Fly Fishing 9 Foot Combo. It is comfortable to cast, well-made, and can be used by both left and right-handed users.
I hope this article answered all the questions you had regarding the best rod and reel combo for beginners. Happy shopping!